Image courtesy Human Appeal
With a million people displaced and two million people needing emergency provisions, charities are appealing for donations. We look at ten ways to raise money.
- Invite all of your friends to an iftar evening and ask them to pay what they might in a restaurant.
- Make sweets and cakes and sell them to friends and family.
- With Ramadan here, make homemade Eid cards and crafts with your children and arrange to sell them to friends and family or even at the mosque.
- Encourage children to donate some or all of their pocket money.
- Take part in a boot sale; encourage children to sell clothes or toys they no longer need.
- Walk to work or school and donate the travel money.
- Think of one thing you really enjoy; perhaps your daily coffee and cake on the way to work and go without for a week. Donate the money you save.
- Put aside the amount you would have spent on lunch during Ramadan and donate that
- Liaise with the wider community to hold unified events such as bazaars —the local Church or local school may help hold events in their halls.
- Sponsored events such as walks, swims, spellathons or Qur’an memorisation are all great ways to collect money.
And remember – a little money goes a long way:
£5 will provide a case of bottled water
£15 will buy a family hygiene kit
£40 will buy a food pack for one month
£100 will buy a family tent
£1000 will provide a medical camp for 48 hours